March 13, 2006

Delivery man for the newspaper

I sub for paper routes and so I just got one, like two days ago. Paper routes really aren't that hard, you just have to drag one of your parents to go drive to the pick up station to get the papers and then you can just enjoy the morning as you go. There's something about delivering papers in the early morning that is special, but I don't really know what it is. Yesterday though it was blowing really hard, so like all my shots were off, I missed a while porch and from the driveway too! I mean really, I practically had to walk all the way up to the front door! Also when it's windy and pitch black the houses are always a little more...well...we'll just say intimidating...especially the ones with like, some vinyl siding flapping in the wind and stuff. Anyway, halfway through the route my flashlight died, so I had to use my ever resourceful mind to memorize all the house numbers until I reached another street light. Actually contrary to popular opinion, nowadays, you don't ride your bike to deliver papers, you walk. Seriously, you walk, it's too cumbersome to carry a bunch of papers and then ride up and down every other driveway...it's really difficult and it doesn't save any time at all. Some people use cars, and that's just ridiculous. Unless, of course it's the Sunday edition and you can't carry them all. But still, a car...pathetic. The worst part is when you end up with not enough papers and you have to call in and say you need more, or you have to go back through the whole route and find the house you delivered that you weren't supposed to. Especially if the route has a 108 papers. Thankfully I only had to do that one a couple times. But it is nice to be able to be forced to get up in the morning, you really find out what you miss if your like me, who doesn't get out of the house until, like 3 in the afternoon. But I think they're worth it for once in a while.

Oh, big news...Adam had his first beer today...ooooh...it wasn't much, more like a couple sips, but still, a first is a first, especially when he can't get it here for a couple more years...

I think I'll end the post here, if any of you have ever had a paper route, I would like to know, because I don't really know anybody who is associated with the newspapers in any depth...

well, ttyall later...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds fun. by the way, practical boy scout knowledge, it's a good idea to have either extra batteries or a back-up light, for when the unavoudable happens :)

Andrew said...

Heh, ya isaac, but this flashlight, well, it wasn't the batteries...heh,

Charity said...

I think I would be a little scared going in the early morning dilivering papers...it seems more like a guys job anyway. ;-)

YAY WE FINALLY GOT TO TALK!!!!!!!! hehe.

Anonymous said...

hehe, I just go on my cousins route every now and then. I'm too lazy to actually go out and deliver papers every day *big grin*

Anonymous said...

I thought about getting the route that our house is on because our paper boy (whom we know) is going to college this fall, but my mom was like "NO! NO NO NO NO NO and NO!" we're really not morning people in the Riepe household. Rebecca tried some beer once when we were moving Grandma into assistant living and she didn't like it, Raymond it took only a sniff before he didn't want to try it, I wasn't there at the time, and my cousin Julie tried it and threw up on the other side of the barn. poor kid. What did Adam think of his beer?

bethoven said...

I had a paper route for 6 1/2 years while I was in high school, but only the weekends were morning editions and M-F was delivered before 5:00 (and the papers usually were dropped off at our house around 2:00). My route was only around 30 papers, but my sisters each had one at some point and they had about 45 and 50 each. And I've done my share of backtracking to find that one missing paper you delivered wrong. I loved being able to walk and enjoy the morning or afternoon air. Sometimes I rode my bike, but only because my route wasn't right by my house. And I was only a wuss and took the car when there were 2 or 3 of us to do "speed delivery" and it was either Sunday papers or raining or something.

And I've never even tried beer. Not even once.

erudil said...

One of the Belle Center newspaper delivery people uses a bicycle.