March 26, 2006

Boredom...

One of the speakers at the convention brought up an interesting point about boredom. He said that boredom isn't just having nothing to do. Boredom is actually self-centered thinking, expecting everybody to do stuff for you to make your life interesting and not using any creativity to do stuff yourself. In fact Boredom isn't a harmless feeling, if you bored, you certainly aren't using your gifts to glorify God, your just stuck thinking about how you have nothing to do. And not doing anything, is just as bad as doing the wrong thing. When I heard that it totally changed my thinking of boredom. I used to think boredom wasn't really, wrong, it's just a harmless feeling. But really, if you think about it, boredom is very self-centered thinking and not at all productive. What do you think?? Anyway, just a few thoughts from the conference.

Well, it's the start of another glorious week. There was supposed to be a debate tournament this weekend, but it was cancelled for a lack of contestants. It's kinda bittersweet, because, I really don't want to do another tournament, but I do need some more practice. Instead of a speech and debate tourney, there is a...ready for this.........a monopoly tournament!! With...a grand prized of a 75$ gift card to Dick's sporting goods...how cool is that!? I better start practicing I guess. I actually won a new monopoly board last year. This year, well, 75 bucks is pretty decent winnings for playing a game...really...

UCONN IS OUT!!!!!!!!!!!! and Texas...sorry Nathan, i think your final four choosings have been manipulated a bit. No #1 seeds are left!! I was pretty sure this was going to be a year of upsets, and guess what, there were a lot of upsets. Any of you getting in on the action in Indy?? That would be such an experience, wow, that could pass as a field trip, seriously, well...almost...
I think I need to start shutting down...have a great night,

8 comments:

Nathan said...

If you could hook me up with $200, I could get a nosebleed seat and enjoy the action. Or I could watch it on TV...

Yeah, my Final 4's screwed, but which one isn't? I'm sure a grand total of 6 people picked George Mason. I can still win a couple hundred with the picks I've got now. That is, if UCLA wins one more game.

Anonymous said...

That's a really good point about boredom. It is true that when you're 'bored', you can usually think of something productive to do...you just don't want to do it. At least, that's how it is for me a lot of times.

Thanks for the comments, Andrew...even though you don't want me to win! ;-)

Andrew said...

yeah nathan, there is something to be said about...uh...the money side of sports...and about the final four stuff, this was a very unpredictable year and i predicted that it was going to unpredictable...heh, so i had no idea who would make it. I didn't think any of the 1 seeds would make it but that's about it...

yeah, i hadn't thought about boredom that way before, it was pretty striking...

Anonymous said...

Again:

Final Four teams:

LSU VS. UCLA

George Mason VS. Florida

Who are u routing for?

Nathan said...

George Mason, most definately! But I need UCLA to win one game...

bethoven said...

Interesting thought about boredom. The last time I remember being "bored" was...maybe the summer before 4th grade. And that was a long time ago. :)

Graham said...

I haven't been bored since I got my Electric guitar... I love that thing. If I start to feel bored I take it out on the guitar. I finally figured out how to do a really meaty palm mute.

Katie said...

In French the literal translation of "I'm bored" is actually "I'm boring myself."