April 04, 2006

A little roofing...

A friend of mine got a roofing job a couple weeks ago, and he hired me to help him out. I really needed some breaks from school anyway, and a little roofing never hurt anybody, so I decided to take up the challenge and do a little roofing. It's quite interesting...once you have found out that, even though the boards creak like a hundred year old rocking chair, you aren't falling through! Sometimes you wonder though...but all in all, it's a good way to get your mind off of something. Besides I enjoy some manual labor. Who wouldn't after spending you time since Christmas sitting behind a desk and flipping pages and twirling your fingers! Anyway, back to buisiness; roofing is divided into a couple steps,

1. Tearing off the old shingles
2. Laying tar paper
3. Attaching the drip edge
4. Laying shingles.

It's that easy...seriously, you can now go re-roof your house! Well, I suppose you might need a little experience...but you can get the hang of it easy enough. Anybody done any roofing? It's pretty fun, you get to have some excuses to making loud noises in the middle of the day, which is always fun. And, it's some practical knowledge...you could save some hoards of money! Well, the next best thing is sleep, (where have I heard that?) so maybe I should consider that more carefully...

7 comments:

Andrew said...

um, first of all, again that wasn't me, and i have no idea about a "roofing masacre" sounds kinda phony if u think about it, maybe this other "Andrew" character could explain himself a bit...

Ellie said...

the "other" Andrew isn't being very nice to me.

Anonymous said...

i can't believe u got a roofing job! do they make u wear a hard hat?

Anonymous said...

one of my best friends, Joshua Dirks, he and his dad do roofing together in the summer time. anyway, a few years ago when we were still in AWANA, Josh didn't come one Wednesday. his little brother, Ryan, did but I didn't get a chance to talk to him. I found out the following Sunday that they were roofing their house and Josh put the nail gun in the wrong place at the wrong time and it went through his hand!!! he got himself in that area of your outer hand between the thumb and pointer fingure. if the nail had gone in any farther it would hit a tenden and that might have been the end of his left hand days. He's okay now but he's awful careful.

Andrew said...

hehe, no i don't wear any hard hats...i know the guy who is heading up the project, and i have done construction work before, so it's not entirely knew, but it's interesting all the same...

christina - ouch! one of our guys who put trim around our baseboards in our house ran a nail through his finger once...

Hannah said...

what was the friend's name? I know a guy who does roofing and stuff like that. My dad did our house a few years ago... Idk how many exactly but I helped some, it was pretty fun... We didn't have any nail guns though, we had to do it all with just reg'lar old nails and staples. Hehe

Anonymous said...

That's the way we did it when we built the shed in the back yard. His name is Joshua Dirks, but he lives in Iowa so I doubt you've ever met 'im.