April 17, 2006

Guys in the kitchen...

"Guys can't cook!" "Guys don't even need to know how to cook!"
I don't know who said those lines but I haven't heard anything more false about cooking! Really, guys need to know how to cook and guys CAN cook. I rather enjoy kicking the women out of the kitchen and making something up...and when your sister asks you to make her birthday dinner, you know at least the stuff you dream up is edible! What started me off with cooking is an old recipe for pancakes. My grandma first taught me how to make Norwegian pancakes. Norwegian pancakes are some of the best pancakes out there! Now these pancakes aren't your normal 6" across things, these are very flat, and cover the whole frying pan, so it takes some considerable practice to flip them without breaking! So, with much patience, endurance, mistakes, and victories...I succeeded in forming my first pancake, (this was when I was around like 9). Ever since that introduction to cooking, it's been downhill from there. I started to make different things such as dessert's, steaks and meat dishes, casseroles etc. My favorite kind of food is Italian, so I just got a really fancy Italian cookbook for Christmas (yeah, it came to that, getting cookbooks for Christmas!!). A friend of mine enjoys cooking as well, so recently we have started cooking more or less fancy Italian meals once in a while for our families. One time we made, Chunky Gourmet Lasagna, a side of mozzarella sticks and a Mint chocolate dessert. Wow, that was a good dinner! Now I don't even need a cookbook to make things or spice things up anymore. I feel comfortable in the kitchen...
Another thing which keeps me going are my experiences with restaurants. Whenever I go to restaurants I most always get slightly disappointed with the quality of the food, like it's always slightly artificial. Except for pizza of course! But everything else, it seems artificial somehow. But when I cook, it's all from scratch and homemade, so there's no artificial taste at all, and that's what really fueled my desire to make my own food. So guys really need to know how to cook. Talk about essential skills...So...who else cooks?

8 comments:

Graham said...

I am not a cook, and I fear, I shal never be one: I have burned salads. Not one, several. The first was when i was making salad next to a frying pan and I knocked it over and it fell in. Other times I came home from school late and I simply slapped lasigna or whatever my family had for lunch on my plate, dumped some salad on and then threw it into the microwave... to remember it a minute later... limp and squishy...

Charity said...

Me me pick ME!!! I love cooking. :-) It started for me with mac and cheese out of the box. I was and still am always in charge of dinner when the parents desert us. My brothers aren't much for kitchening...but I have tried (well I haven't tried very hard...) to get them into the whole cooking thing. actually, I would rather teach them to clean up the kitchen after the woman does the cooking! Seriously, i think all guys who want to get married need to learn that if their wife makes dinner (or even if she doesn't!), they should DEFINTELY without being asked clean up the kitchen - including washing the dishes etc. I mean, I don't mind doing it that much, but it's soo nice to see guys doing that kind of thing. Okay...my rant is over for now. I feel like doing a post now, though. My original intent was to post about Dixon's Creek, but now you have me on this whole guys-need-to-clean-up thing!!! ;-)

bethoven said...

I would agree that all guys need to learn how to cook! One time my brother made something very scrumptious (I can't remember what it was) but no one would believe him that he actually made it himself!

Christina said...

Charity---AMEN!!!

guys should totally know how to cook and clean up afterwards. My mom usually makes the meals and we switch betweeen who cleans up after it. But when she goes to substitute teach them dinner is all mine!!! MWAHAHAAHA! When mom goes to sub I take her place; so everyone's asking me where this is or that was, and when is the other thing, and i gotta give orders....I tell you I love it!! That's totally awesome you're into cooking. Lot's of guys don't learn how to cook or do laundry or anything and that really ticks me off.

Anonymous said...

i luv cooking, duh, i'm in foods! i'm actually thinking about becoming a chef! and guys should cook, cuz otherwise they r just lazy! and ur not the only 1 who gets cookbooks 4 Christmas...i do 2! and i luv them!

Graham said...

man, that started off the feminatzi's ragieme! I had no idea women folk were so vehement on the subject.

Anonymous said...

yay for guys that can cook :) lol. I CAN but I don't noramlly like it (cause I'm normally forced to cook alone) cooking with other people is FUN though, so is doing dishes. hehe. On youth mission trips and stuff we always have 'teams' that switch off on helping with meals and cleaning up after and stuff. dishes = fun, lol

erudil said...

I qualified for the Ohio State Fair three times in baking.