February 28, 2006

Well, basketball season is officially over for me, I played my last game of the season on Saturday, and I think I had my best game. I actually scored some points too. I think I am finally contributing to the team a little. I hope my knee stays intact for next year. I don't know if I'll play soccer, I might drop it to protect my knee.
I have a debate today, along with piano stuff. I am preparing for the competition on this Saturday and the honors recital on Sunday. Since I have been performing a lot recently I don't really have any fear of it anymore. I used to be a mess two weeks before a recital just worrying and getting all worked up about nothing. I normally was so worried that I ended up making mistakes in the performance anyway. But there were a coupe things that drove me on to do it again. First the glory of the performance. Once you've experienced it, it never leaves you. When I am performing I am in a completely different world, and all realities and problems and thoughts and everything pretty much leaves me. The second thing is satisfaction. You feel a sense of relief and then a sense of extreme perseverance. Right after a good performance, I'll dream of doing it again and I'll already be thinking of pieces I'll want to play. And then a couple weeks before another recital or something I would find myself saying, "what possessed me to get myself into this!" And then I would remember the performance and everything and the cycle would repeat over and over again. But now, I am at the point that, it really isn't a big deal at all, as long as I feel comfortable with the piece then I don't worry at all. It's the same with debate and speech. I've done it enough to not feel stressed about it. Like the debate today, I didn't spend hours last night trying to prepare. My mom told me I was debating tomorrow and I was like "ok", as if she had asked me to sweep the floor or something. So my advice to you aspiring performers is, if you feel really really stressed out about performing, keep with it, and you will soon find performing in front of a crowd to be no different then speaking in front of your friends. And with that, I will prepare my self for my debate...take care

5 comments:

erudil said...

What will you be debating?

Graham said...

I have experienced something like that. When I got into guitar and my youth group learned that I was playing, they asked me to play, and I nearly wet my pants, so to speak, but I pulled it off, and I have become a regular part of our Youth Group's worship, which is great. All the same, I don't think I will ever forget that first time. I was as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs...

Anonymous said...

I am soooo soooo bad at talking in front of people, my lines in the play bother me, lol. But gimme a microphone and a guitar and I'm totaly comfortable. that seems weird to me, lol, that I can sing but I can't speak. Huh.

Anonymous said...

I used to be incredably scared of crowds. Like at Battle Ground, I had to do a lot of singing and a few plays. A couple times I threw up after wards, but thankfully I got over my stage fright and went on to actually have the leading role in a Christmas play in 2001 where I even had to sing a solo. Let me make one thing clear, I DO NOY MAKE SPEECHES. I can act, but that's different. You memorize lines when you act, you memorize lyrics when you sing, speeches have outlines, I can't come up with the rest in fronst of people. I love singing in front of people, I sing a lot to myself, don't know if I'm good or not. But when I sang my solo at that Christmas, I had people choking up. My grandparents even insist that I get singing lessons which I'd love to have, I just don't know if I can find the time or the teacher. Well, at least I've got a good memory and it's always come in handy. Well, that is, long turm memory.

Elizabeth said...

luke's done too. I commented. :)