June 01, 2006

Dinner's on!

When someone starts to have a running dialogue by himself in my comments, I think it means it's time to update...

Wow, I have been so busy, with graduations, open houses, birthdays, cooking. Speaking of cooking, I actually cooked my sisters birthday dinner! Imagine that, she specificity wanted ME to do it! I tell you, this was a full meal. A friend came over Monday night to test some cooking and then we cooked all day Tuesday and ate Tuesday night!! We made a small first appetizer of cheese sticks. These cheeses sticks have a crunchy outer shell with a deliciously soft cheesy center. Then for our second appetizer we had stuffed tomatoes. We cored the tomatoes, and put an egg, with spices in it and baked it. And for the main meal, (which was definitely the hardest!!) we made homemade ravioli! We started from scratch and made the dough and rolled it out and everything! I tell you, making pasta is hard! I mean, you roll out the dough and it shrinks back and you roll it, and it shrinks back and so on. It took FOREVER for us to get it all rolled out. And then we had to place filling on the rolled out pasta in little lumps and then place the other sheet of dough over it, seal it, cut it, crimp it. I mean, it was crazy. We started making our ravioli at 1:30 and didn't finish till 5! Then of course we had a classic special Italian meat sauce. And for dessert, we made brownie baked Alaska's! In case you don't know, baked Alaska is a cake with ice-cream on it, covered in meringue and baked in the oven. Amazingly the meringue keeps the ice-cream from melting!! Instead of making the whole cake, we just made little ones withe brownies. Ah! Those were so good! Hungry yet?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

*is hungry* lol. That all sounds sooooo good! Omg!

Anonymous said...

that sound awesome...i always wondered what exactly baked alaska was.

Christina said...

What is your sister's exact birthday? I remember our families getting together and having a double Christina birthday party but still. ravioli does sound good. I'm not necessarily a scratch person as far as cooking goes myself. Unless it's chocolate chip cookie-dough.

Graham said...

I have just eaten something, so it didn't make me hungry, but my mouth wattered, if its any consolation. I could paint a meal like that, but I couldn't make one.

erudil said...

I can cook enough to stay alive and enjoy the taste of a few things, but I can't compare to what you can do :-) I never knew you went for cooking as well. What other things do you do like this?

Graham said...

somehow, meniether: I have watched him play computer, piano, frisbe, I have discussed complex math with him, the fesibilities of hover craft, model rockets, and philosophy. Yet in all that aclecticity (how do you spell that?) I had never encountered cooking. He does sound knowledgeable about it though...

Anonymous said...

Andrew,
You failed to mention me. You will now cook in a cursed kichen. To all the rest of you. He did not do it himself. He had the help of I.

Uncorduly,
The Phantom of the Kitchen.

Christina said...

"of me" would be the correct usage.

Andrew said...

well mister phantom, you WERE mentioned, a FRIEND came over and...ahem...WE cooked...however, the emphasis of the post wasn't on you, and it wasn't on me either...it was on the food!

Anonymous said...

My exact birthday is May 30. Last year my birthday was on Memorial Day. I wish you all could have tasted the ravioli, and Baked Alaska Brownies. ~SO GOOD~!

Christina Doerr,
The Birthday Girl

P.S. I turned 10. My mom and dad do NOT want me to be ten. They say they don't have any more young children.(which is true) :-P

Anonymous said...

Andrew, could you please (pretty pretty please with a cherry on top and a little sugar) tell me what LOL means?

The Archduke of the Keyboard