July 29, 2007

The Last of Harry Potter


So...the final book has arrived...and I have read it...which means I should have an opinion on it...hmm, alright, I'll let you in on my opinions...however...

For those of you who are completely engulfed in the world of Harry Potter, there shouldn't be any problems...

For those who think harry potter is evil cuz it has witches in it, keep reading anyway...

For those of you who can't stand Harry Potter and think he's stupid, don't spam my comment box...please...

For those of you who could care less, just read on and maybe you'll want to read em...maybe...

And for those of you who would kill me if I spoiled the end for you, stop NOW!


important! In this paragraph some parts of the end could leak out...so read at your own risk...
(basically if this ruins the end for you, you can't sue me)



As I looked back on the seven books in the series, I realized more how much genius it took to create a solid and very intriguing series of seven without destroying the plot, or weakening it in anyway. Rowling takes seven books and barely reveals little threads of the plot through each one but just enough to keep you wondering...giving the last final book a fascinating read. I was quite impressed by how the author wrapped everything up in the end, keeping you interested till the very last page, with so many twists and turns I had to read it again. I think one of the most interesting threads of the books is the character of Severus Snape, and I think most people who have read all the books would agree. How he seems so evil yet deep inside somewhere you can't help but wonder about it, and then when you find out he's actually good and you begin to think about him in a whole different light. Then everything else you think he's done bad begins to turn around and you see how it was all for good. This is only one of plenty of side plots that keep twisting and turning leaving you hanging all the time.

I remember how dumb I thought harry potter books were when they first came out...and even after reading the first and second books I wasn't real impressed. But I see now how the first books needed to be shorter to get people familiar with the characters and places and especially stuff like terminology and magicky stuff. Then Rowling built off of that knowledge and became much deeper in the later books.

The biggest concern I had with the books, was Harry's complete disregard of authority and how it continues through most of the books. In seven it's not as prominent and I haven't had much time to think about it...but it doesn't necessarily get fixed. Overall he just doesn't seem to have a high regard at all for those placed in authority over him. That is the main problem I had with the books.

I've heard some talk about how Harry Potter dies then comes back to life, how easy that was to do...but if you think about it, it wasn't that easy and fit in perfectly with the story, and I think that if she did it any other way...it would've detracted fromt he story. I guess I was surprised by how few of the main characters died in that book, and counting what i think were major characters i find only 6.(Lupin, Tonks, Dobby, Fred, Mad Eye, Snape Or maybe i was expecting a mass slaughter, or one of the big three (harry, Hermione, and Ron) to die. But regardless it had a satisfying ending.

Now,
For those of you who think that Harry Potter is stupid, first, I'm not a harry potter freak or fanatic, I just enjoyed the books, so don't accuse me of going off the deep end. Second, i really suggest you read the books and think it over...I think most people would agree it's an intriguing concept...if you've already read em all and still think it's dumb, then your hopeless...and should go home and read Garfield, or the comics in the newspaper...

For those who could care less, I'd still say read the books because I don't' think it's a waste of time...and you might find them enjoyable, entertaining, and even thought provoking...

For those who think it's evil cuz it has witches in it, well I'd say read them and think about it. I don't find them evil. I know there are organizations out there like witch clubs and black magic and stuff, but this isn't anything like it and is far from what sorcery or magic is portrayed like in our world. This is a different reality a completely fantasy and is a battle between good and evil not too unlike the Lord or the Rings in that sense, and so I don't' find it "evil". I wouldn't recommend it to 5 year old's cuz of the mature themes, and attitude of Harry...but I do not find it at all detrimental...

For those who would kill me if I spoiled it for them...well if you've read this far I've already spoiled it for you and your probably ready to kill me...and I'd advise you not to try cuz my neighbor's son is a cop and there's also a cop who goes to my church and they'll hunt you down...

All in all, i enjoyed the harry potter series and if there's anyone out there who likes fantasy, and magic, and wizards...I'd say go ahead and read it...and prepare to be engulfed in an extraordinary world so unlike yet so similar to our world that you'll be fascinated...much like i was.

18 comments:

David Pulliam said...

Harry Potter, whatever. lol

Christina said...

Okay, I'll say this once and only once. I will eventually get around to watching each movie atleast once just cuz it's a big culture thing. However, IF (and that's a pretty big "if") I were to read the books it wouldn't be for a long time. I have too many other books to read. I don't, however, mean to offend any of you Harry fans out there. I just think it's gonna take a long time for people to convince me to actually become interested in either books or movies. The last time I tried to watch one, I fell asleep.

Anonymous said...

-Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam.

Numper of spams (not including this one): 42

Andrew said...

christina...
watching the movies will do nothing for you...maybe give u an idea...but w/e...
and seriously, saying you don't care and won't read the books isn't going to offend me...and i'm not even a "harry fan" i just read the books and liked them...what i want on these posts...is what you think of harry potter...and this goes for you too mister phantom, cuz i know you are interested in reading them and pretending to spam my comment box won't get you anywhere...

Christina said...

The Phantom didn't do it right. It's

"Allo! For breakfast we have spam and eggs, spam spam and eggs, spam spam bacon and spam....

No! I just want eggs! What do you have with the least amount of spam?

Well, there's the spam spam and eggs.

Doesn't that have more spam than the spam and eggs?

*Vikings start singing* Spam spam spam spam, wonderful spam!!!

........

When I said "fan" I meant all fans who read that comment.

Anonymous said...

-Okay, I think HP is an interesting series, I also happen to think that there are any number of books that are more interesting and better written then them. I also have a problem with Harry's disrespect of athority; there's enough of that today without popular literature encouraging it.

PS. Oh yes! Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, wounderful spaaaaam!!!

Anonymous said...

-Or is it: spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spamity spaaaaaam!

Anonymous said...

-Three in a row!!! (You asked for it Andrew).
*To the tune of the Star Spangled Banner*
"Spam, spam spaam, spam, spam, spaaaaam. Spaam, spam spam, spam, spam, spaaaaam..." (You get the idea)

Andrew said...

i used to think people left intelligent comments on my blog...i must have been mistaken...

(oh, and what u guys are doing isn't spamming my comment box, just in case u weren't sure...)

Christina said...

We know, we just LOVE to annoy you.
Besides, we did leave intelligent comments...it's just we ran out of things to talk about your post. Solution? Post again!

Anonymous said...

-That's right Andrew, we'll comment about spam untill you post again!
*To the tune of God save the King*
Spam, spam, spam, spaaam, spam spam, spam, spam, spam, spaaaam, spam spam, spam, spam, spam, spaaaaaaam.

Christina said...

Spam, spam, spam, there is only one. Spam, spam, spam, it's the only one. Spam spam spam....

*To the tune of Sandman*
Mr Spam man, bring me some spam....I could really use some spam tonight, Mr Spam man bring me spam lite!!!

Have any of you been to the SPAM museum in Austen Minnesota?

Christina said...

Oh, Lauren Weldy started a blog!! http://lorylou.blogspot.com Check it out!

Andrew said...

i'm leaving
for the state fair
won't be back for a week and a half...

so long...ye posters of nonsense...

Charity said...

well, all I'm going to say is that I haven't read the books because my dad doesn't like the fact that witches are portrayed as good. He doesn't think that sorcery is something to portray as a good thing. So that's that. Well...pretty much. So I'm not hugely morally opposed to the books myself...I guess I can't have that much of a opinion since I've never read them. But I don't think I'm any worse for wear because of it. I'm glad you found them entertaining and thought provoking, though.

There. How's that for a semi-sensible comment?

Have fun at the state fair! wish we could come visit you again. Maybe next year... :)

Christina said...

well, when are you gonna tell us all about the horrible State Fair?

Christina said...

What about posting? And have the Cleavers contacted you, yet?

Andrew said...

nope the cleavers haven't contacted me yet...